There are some special kinds of nutrients that contribute to the proper functioning of the human body and hence, are extremely important in maintaining a healthy, infection-free body. Some of them cannot be synthesized inside the body and therefore, need to be supplemented through your diet.
One such important set of nutrients is Omega-3 fatty acids. Omega-3 fatty acids are a mix of Alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA), and Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), all of them being essential fatty acids (cannot be synthesized inside the body) and hence, should be supplemented through diet. Fish oil is a major source of Omega-3 fatty acids.
Regular consumption of fish oil not only keeps many lifestyle diseases at bay but also cures many nutritional-related disorders and inflammations. You may either consume fishes, which are a natural resource of Omega-3 fatty acids or you may opt for fish oil supplements available in the market. Browse down through the following section to know more about the benefits of Omega-3 fish oil.
Benefits Of Omega 3 Fish Oil
- Omega-3 fish oil reduces triglycerides by up to 50 percent. Triglycerides, being saturated, have a high melting point and hence, more likely to remain as solids. In human beings, triglycerides are the main storehouse of unused calories. A high level of triglycerides in the body results in atherosclerosis and eventually in heart diseases. Thus, consumption of Omega -3 fish oil reduces the risk of heart attack by reducing triglycerides.
- Omega-3 fish oil plays important role in reducing high blood pressure by expanding the blood vessels.
- Omega-3 fish oil, by its significant action on triglycerides, reduces the chances of diabetes. Considering the importance of these actions, the FDA recently approved Omega-3 fish oil as an essential food supplement.
- Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) in fish oil have a significant effect on male and female fertility. Fish oil, rich in these Omega-3 fatty acids, balances your hormones and increases blood flow to the uterus.
- Omega-3 fatty acids are abundant in the sperm. Among these fatty acids, the DHA is abundant in the sperm tail and has a significant effect on sperm motility.
- EPA plays an important effect in reducing schizophrenic symptoms. It helps lower inflammation as well. Also, it has CYP2C9 and CYP2C19 hepatic enzymes that are involved in drug metabolism.
- DHA, on the other hand, comprises 40 percent of the polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFA) in the brain and 60 percent of the PUFAs in the retina. A lower rate of DHA in the brain causes neural cell death.
- Being an important component of the retina, Omega-3 fatty acids have an important role in eyesight.
- Many people with depression and other mental health problems are proved to have lower levels of DHA. Fish oil is found beneficial in the treatment of such diseases.
- Omega-3 fish oil has been found to have a significant effect on attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). Regular consumption of fish oil supplements improves attention and consciousness in children.
- Studies suggest that regular consumption of Omega-3 fish oil increases memory power and general IQ.
- Omega-3 fatty acids are able to prevent abnormal cell growth and proliferation and also facilitate apoptosis, the death of cancerous cells, and thus play an important role in preventing Cancer.
- Omega-3 fatty acids can effectively contribute to the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis.
- Omega-3 fatty acids have the capacity to slow down or even reverse the process of atherosclerotic plaques.
- Omega-3 fatty acids provide fluidity to cell membranes and thus, play an important role in communication between brain cells.
- Omega-3 fatty acids reduce the clotting ability of platelets, which in turn reduces the chances of heart attacks and strokes.
- Omega-3 fatty acids play an important role in the repair of damaged cells. For instance, Omega-3 fatty acids help in the repair of neurons that are damaged after stroke.
- Studies suggest that omega-3 fatty acids can prolong pregnancy and thus, aid in improving birth weights.
- EPA and DHA, being important constituents of the human brain, are used as fuel for brain metabolism and also aids in controlling chronic inflammatory processes associated with degenerative brain disorders.
- Fish oil should be made an important supplement for elderly people as it reduces the age-related degeneration in the body and helps to stay healthy even in the old ages.
- Omega-3 fatty acids in fish oil increase the metabolic rate and aids in the burning of more calories. This helps reduce body weight.
- Regular consumption of fish oil helps increase muscle performance in women. It has a significant effect on increasing bone health. Also, pregnant ladies should consider taking fish oil daily to deliver a healthy baby.
- Fish oil has significant effects on beauty care as well. It is good for your skin as it prevents wrinkles by fighting the harmful effects of UV rays. It also contributes to reducing the effects of sunburn to a greater extent.
Mentioned above were some significant effects of Omega-3 fatty acids. You might now be aware of the importance of including these fatty acids in your regular diet. As an abundant source of Omega-3 fatty acids, fish oils should be included in your dietary chart.
This article is for informational purposes only. It should not be taken as medical advice.