Kajal is an indispensable part of make-up nowadays. It makes your eyes look beautiful, striking, and appealing. But it is not now that people have started using it. Since the Bronze Age, it is considered an important element of make-up by women. It is generally made of lead sulfide but some other materials like aluminum carbon, iron, antimony, zinc compounds, camphor, and menthol are also used to prepare it.
Traditionally it was made at home collecting the soot from an oil lamp. It is not a product that is used just to beautify looks. Originally, it was used as a protection against eye ailments and also as a coolant. Indian mothers, especially in rural and suburban areas, commonly apply kajal to infants’ eyes for better eyesight as well as to protect infants from the evil eye. People across the world use kajal. It is known by different names in different cultures. Like in Arab, it is known as kohal or kehal, while in South Asia it is also popularly known as surma other than kajal.
Though kajal is a hot favorite among women, it is used by men and children too. From Bollywood to Hollywood its popularity is increasing. It is also an essential part of celebrity make-up, like Johnny Depp’s character Jack Sparrow does in the Pirates of the Caribbean films. When it comes to variety, there is a wide range of kajal available in the market in the form of wood pencils to wax-based pencils and you can find hundreds of kajal brands.
It is widely available in all sizes and shapes and at different price ranges. You can choose according to your budget. But the most essential thing is how to apply kajal correctly so that it can make your eyes look beautiful and bold. Given below are a few things which you should take care of while applying kajal.
How to Apply Kajal
- Wash your face and clean your eyes properly. Make sure there are no dust particles in your eyes before applying kajal. If dust particles get smudged into your eyes, it can cause irritation.
- If your skin is dry then apply moisturizer around your eyes. If it is oily, then clean it properly with a tissue.
- Slowly and charily pull down the lower eyelid, just enough that you can easily apply kajal.
- To ensure safety, use a pencil with a blunt tip. Now drag the pencil slowly on your lower eyelid along the curve. Apply from the inner side to the outer side of the eye.
- In case you’re not comfortable with an eye pencil, you can also apply kajal with your fingertip. If you want a soft look, then apply kajal on the lower edge of the eye.
- If you want a mystifying or smoky look, then you can apply kajal on the upper lid of the eye by using an eye pencil. To apply it, close one eye and slightly pull it to stretch the upper lid. Take the eye pencil and gradually line the lid contour. These days, the smoky look is very much in fashion and people prefer it for evening parties too because it makes eyes look deep and alluring.
If you want to enhance the beauty of your eyes then do not forget to wear kajal. It will make you look stupendous as well as add exuberance to your eyes. Whether you want a modern or a traditional look, kajal will surely help you in getting it. Wear it with a saree or basic jeans and top, and you will not look out of fashion. But make sure you apply it properly.