If you are looking for an ingredient that takes care of your overall health from improving your skin to boosting your heart, then you have to look no further than avocado oil. It is a rich storehouse of important vitamins, minerals, proteins, and antioxidants. It is also a rich source of many beneficial fatty acids.
Therefore, this oil can truly be said to be a health powerhouse. You can use avocado oil both in cooking as well as in your face packs. Its aromatic flavor makes it perfect for frying and grilling and you can use it in salads too. Unlike other oils, avocado oil doesn’t subdue the taste of other ingredients in the dish but blends all the flavors.
This oil makes for a wonderful cosmetic and you can boost your creams and lotions by mixing four to five drops of avocado oil in them. It is a deep penetrating oil and has a refreshing fragrance that makes it a perfect choice for massage. There are many other health benefits of avocado oil. You can know all these as you explore the write-up below.
Health Benefits Of Avocado Oil
- Avocado oil is a rich source of vitamins like A, D, and E, lecithin, and potassium. All these vitamins promote cell growth and regeneration of the skin. The anti-microbial and anti-inflammatory function of vitamin A and E prevents acne breakouts, dermatitis, and scarring, as well as promotes faster healing of cuts and wounds. Vitamin D promotes collagen production and slows down the aging process of the skin. The potassium promotes youthful-looking skin. Lecithin is an excellent emulsifier and lubricant, which forms a protective layering on the hair follicle and skin, preventing the loss of moisture due to weather conditions.
- It also contains proteins, beta-carotene, and more than 20% of essential unsaturated fatty acids like palmitic acid, palmitoleic acid, oleic acid, linoleic acid, linolenic acid, and stearic acid. It is very low in saturated fats and does not contain cholesterol.
- Because avocado oil contains a high level of sterolins, it helps in reducing age spots and helps the skin in healing and protects it from sun damage and scars. The sterolins also have a moisturizing effect on the skin and make it smooth. It is is excellent in treating dehydrated and climate damaged skin. Its nourishing compounds rejuvenate and regenerate the skin.
- Avocado oil significantly increases the collagen production of the skin. This is particularly beneficial as the collagen production decreases with age, which results in wrinkles and fine lines. It helps in maintaining the skin tone and is an excellent remedy against flaking skin. The oil also promotes hair growth when applied to the skin. It also adds luster to the hair.
- The avocado oil is deep penetrating oil and so the deep tissue can easily absorb it. The emollient properties make this oil best suited for mature skin.
- Avocado oil hydrates the skin and prevents dryness. It also provides relief against itching caused due to psoriasis and eczema.
- The avocado oil has a fantastic ability to protect the cardiovascular system, as it is very rich in monounsaturated oleic acid. This oil prevents the absorption of cholesterol and triglycerides from the diet and prevents their absorption into the bloodstream. As a result, this oil can prevent plaque formation and vessel blockage. The oleic acid also increases the production of High-Density Lipoproteins, which are also known as good cholesterol.
- This oil contains a balanced proportion of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, which makes it a very powerful antioxidant. As such, it removes the free radicals and cholesterol deposits, thus protecting and reducing the risk of damage to the blood vessels. The antioxidants also bind to the blood vessel lining making them more stronger and flexible ensuring better response to any changes to blood pressure. Thus, regular intake of avocado oil can lower the risk of arterial thrombosis and coronary heart disease.
- Various studies have found that the omega-3 fatty acid and alpha-linolenic acid found in avocado oil suppresses tumor growth in breast and colon cancers. The vitamin E found in the oil is responsible for preventing skin and prostate cancer. Another benefit is that because of the combination of vitamin E and beta-carotene, avocado oil lowers the risk of lung and other types of cancers significantly.
- Avocado oil is also believed to stimulate cartilage growth and repair because of its anti-inflammatory properties. As such, it can be used to heal the symptoms of knee and hip osteoarthritis.
- Avocado oil is also useful in the treatment of periodontal disease. The oil can inhibit pro-inflammatory cytokine molecules thus, reducing inflammation and preventing bone erosion.
- Because of the high content of monounsaturated fats in avocado oil, it can be helpful in maintaining weight. It also boosts metabolism and because of the high concentration of fat provides a feeling of fullness, which leads to lesser food intake.