Table of Contents
You have transformed into a swan from a fat ugly duckling with the help of a rigorous exercise regimen, but the ultimate question which still lingers around is “How to get perfect abs?” Getting a flat stomach is one thing but getting that flawlessly chiseled pack of abs is an achievement you can boast of. The key thing while working out on abs is ‘compound movements’.
It is a proven fact that it is easy to build muscles with compound movements, rather than with exercises that concentrate on a single muscle. Hence, Hanging Leg Raises is a much more effective and efficient exercise for building abdominal muscles rather than any other exercise. It qualifies as a compound exercise because along with your abs it is a workout for your grip and the hip flexors too.
This exercise is preferred by most because it needs no equipment. You just need a high bar to start this exercise; even a tree qualifies as exercise equipment in this case. Let’s show you how this exercise works.
Steps of Hanging Leg Raises Exercise
You will have to hang on a railing or a high bar holding it with an overhand grip. Don’t bend your arms; hold them apart on the bar, approximate at your shoulder’s width. Tighten and tuck in your abdominal muscles; this will put some stress, but don’t let them lose else the workout will lose its effectiveness. Your back should be kept stress-free during the whole regimen, else it might get hurt.
After placing the hand and your waist in the right places, now it is the turn of your legs. The placement of your legs will vary according to your ability to perform this exercise. For the ones performing this exercise for the first time, the position will be a bent-knee one. People who have little training can try raising straight legs till the midsection. For experts, the position can be straight till the height one can raise himself.
For getting an effective workout and increasing the stress levels, try curling the lower portion of your body upwards to the maximum. Keep in mind to stress on your abs muscles while doing so. Move in slow motion and hold the position for a few seconds before moving back to your initial position.
Benefits of Hanging Leg Raises Exercise
- Being a compound movement, hanging leg raises not only work on the abdominal muscles but also on other muscles of the body such as hips, wrist, etc.
- This exercise takes people by surprise as most people think this to be a simple and easy exercise. This is probably one of the toughest bodyweight exercises and hence gives your body an intense workout, helping you build those muscles much faster.
- This is probably the only exercise that helps you build the ‘lats’ without any complex gym equipment. All you need to do is concentrate on that part of the body while continuing with the hanging knee raises. It comes only with practice.
- While suspended on the chin-up bar, there are a number of variations of this exercise you can choose from which will help you in working out a number of totally different groups of muscle.
- It is quicker in building up the muscles and burning the extra fat; as already discussed, it is an intense workout. Also, being a compound exercise, it helps you in concentrating on a group of muscles rather than a single muscle.
- People suffering from any kind of back problems should not do this exercise.
- If it is your first time, then try doing it in presence of an instructor or a veteran.
- Follow the right posture while trying this exercise, else you might end up hurting yourself or you might not get the best result.
This is no wonder drug that will give you instant results; hence, give this regimen some time to show results. Don’t leave this regimen halfway; be patient while doing this exercise.
Hanging Knee Raises
Abdominal muscles are probably the ones that are the most difficult to tone and maintain while working out the whole body. It is difficult to find out one exercise which helps you tone your abs down to well-formed muscles.
You visit gyms and bug your instructor’s time and again asking them the secrets behind their Greek god-like body, but they always come up with a clichéd answer – hard work and healthy eating habits. Let us tell you a secret formula for getting those perfectly sculpted abs. The formula is doing the right exercise and in your case, the exercise regimen which should be followed is the Hanging Knee Raises exercise.
These are convenient and good enough for starters too. But one must be patient and regular to get the most out of this regimen as it is not some noodles that get cooked in two minutes. Though an easy exercise to maintain the abdominal area, it is quite tiresome; so should be started in small sets. There are a number of variations too which one can try to get the maximum benefit out of it. Let’s show you how it can be performed.
How to do Hanging Knee Raises?
- Warming up and stretching is a must before this exercise as it is altogether an intense workout in itself. Start with hanging still on a bar; later try stretching exercises, on the bar, and on the ground. It is necessary as your body needs to be flexible for this exercise and a stiff body might cause some damage to tissues.
- Hang onto the bar with your arms apart, approximately at your shoulder’s width. Make sure that you have a good grip on the bar; crossing your legs will help.
- Lift your knees as much as possible while maintaining a stable posture. Try raising them by putting some effort into your abdominal muscles. Bring them as close to your chest as possible and hold the position. Don’t lower your legs fully; try to retain the tension from the prior one.
- This is a really good exercise for your hip flexors as well as your abdominal muscles as it stresses at the right points. It will work really well for you if you try some regular sets on alternate days.
- Prevent your body from swinging, as swinging will make this exercise easier but the tension which is needed will be lost. If you want to work out your abdominal muscles and get them in good shape, then you stay as still as possible while trying to retain the momentum of the knee raises.
Benefits of Hanging Knee Raises
- This is a complete workout for the abdominal muscles and hence helps in building firm and strong abs. If you workout in continuation, then it surely helps you in forming a complete physique.
- Staying fit always helps, but this exercise will especially work out for you if you engage yourself in any athletic activity. Because this exercise works up on your abdominal muscles and helps improve the spinal stability, and in course of time, will improve your performance in sports.
- This positively works on your grip and in turn helps you in developing muscular forearms.
- As no complex exercising equipments are needed for this exercise it surely is cost effective and this feature also makes it an easy exercise to start working out with.
- There are a number of variants available for this exercise; hence, you end up working out on a whole lot of areas rather than just the abdominal muscles.
This is probably the best exercise to tone your lower abs but will show results only when you maintain a proper posture throughout. For getting the best result it is always advised to learn it from trained fitness instructors first. Even before that, check if you even have the upper body strength to train yourself for this. Because you may harm yourself trying to desperately do something beyond the capacity of your body strength. Never forget the key to achieving something is regularity and patience.