You lie on your bed; eyes wide open with no chances of falling asleep. The fan above your head is on full speed but you can still count the rotations as if you telekinetically slowed it down. Looking at the watch, you try to think what is slower: the seconds’ hand of the watch or the pace of a snail. A fly decides to take advantage of the situation; comes flying down and sits right on top of your nose.
Bored to death that you are, you do nothing more than stare at it with a squint in your eyes. Thoughts disappear from your mind as you lay there, going through the exact motions over and over again. Are you going to change it or what? Need help? Here it is. Whether you’re just having an off day or an off from work or college; you’ll only be as bored as you allow yourself to be.
So what is it going to be? Are you going to just lie there and stare blankly all day or are you going to read what follows next and turn it on the fun way? Well, if it’s the former, God helps you but if, by all chances, it’s the latter, here’s how you can go about with it.
What To Do When You Are Bored At Home
- Call up your friends and see what they are doing. Talk jibber-jabber for a few minutes and then come to the point. Ask them to go to a movie or play a sport with you.
- If each of your friends is busy then call random people with whom you haven’t been in touch for ages now. See if any of them is free and is a game for going for a play or a movie with you.
- If they say no, rent a DVD of a movie you’ve been dying to see and watch it at home. Or play a video game on PC or Playstation/Xbox if you have one.
- Take a good look in the mirror and imagine yourself in different haircuts. Then get the haircut you think best suits you. And if you haven’t treated your finger and toenails well in recent times, a manicure and pedicure would be a good idea to make up for the ignorance.
- Host a Karaoke night with friends. Take turns singing solo songs, duets songs, crazy rock numbers, soft romantic numbers, and so on. Keep the volume within limit; lest your neighbors call the cops on you.
- Learn to cook something new. Search over the internet for some recipes and try to prepare a dish. Feed the dish to yourself first for some beta testing and then feed to others.
- Go facebook-ing. Drop off random and totally off-topic comments on your friends’ status updates. When bored with that too, start playing Mafia Wars or Farmville. Watch the crops grow, full time.
- Listen to a CD of your favorite songs. If mere listening doesn’t pull you out of boredom, learn to dance on them, or dance according to the moves that come naturally to you.
- Use your Handycam if you have one, and try to make a paranormal activity style movie or a short video at home. Post that video on Facebook and YouTube, and based on the feedback, decide if you want to be a director or actor.
- Go out for a quiet walk in the park or some scenic location in your town. Take your digital camera along and take shots of whatever it is that fascinates you. Come back home and look at the pictures.
- Go for a walk in the streets and see if anyone needs the help of some kind. Do it in a hearty way without asking anything in return. Just make their day and unknowingly, you’ll make yours too.
- Take a good look around your home. Go on a mission to clean it: every inch and corner. Call up some friend who is willing to help you with it. Give him/her a nice treat at the end of it.
- Launch your own website or blog. Fill your site with movie reviews or blogging advice, or something else you’re an expert at.
- In an earnest way, write a poem or a short story and post it online. Wait for the comments to follow and reply to them. Ask what they liked and where changes should be made.
- Host a treasure hunt for the neighborhood kids. Create a wordless hunt, leaving only pictures (or photos) as clues. One clue will lead to the next, which will lead to the next, and so on.
- Make someone’s day or all your friends’ day. Search for inspirational quotes and relate each quote to some friend as to how it may inspire them. Send the selected quotes to your friends via SMS or mail or posting them on their Facebook wall.
- Start counting imaginary sheep and fall off to sleep. Or go shopping; that ought to cheer you up in a good way.
Kick the boredom out of the way with these things to do when you are bored at home. Have a fun day!