Do you work out in a gym for losing weight and gaining shape? Does your trainer change the exercise patterns frequently? At one time he tells you to exercise manually and then after 20 to 30 minutes, he tells you to exercise using a machine. He frequently keeps you moving from high-intensity exercise to low-frequency exercise and vice versa.
This is because he wants to keep you engaged without any break in between. Boys are mostly engaged in high-intensity exercises while girls are engaged in low-intensity exercises. But why is it so? How these exercises are defined and what are the major differences between them? Is there any specific name for these exercises? low-intensity exercise is termed aerobic exercise while high-intensity exercise is termed as anaerobic exercise. Let us understand the difference between them.
Aerobic means “with oxygen”. Aerobic is a low to medium-intensity exercise that generally lasts for 90 minutes. While performing aerobic exercise, oxygen flows quickly to every part of the body. Our body needs fat or carbohydrate to generate energy. Aerobic exercise needs the energy to make the muscles work. Hence, the body burns fat to produce energy, this in turn reduces our weight. Aerobics start with a short warm-up exercise and then the intensity of exercise is increased to a moderate level. It finally ends with a short session of deep breathing. It not only reduces your body weight but also improves your health conditions. Examples of aerobic exercise include running, jumping, aerobic classes, jogging, etc.
Pros of Aerobic Exercises
- Help in reducing body weight
- Improve cardiovascular functioning
- Reduces the risks of diabetes
- Improves muscles strength
- Increases the duration of our life
- Improve the immune system
Cons of Aerobics
- The time taken by aerobic exercises to reduce weight is more than anaerobic.
- They don’t increase the body mass rather they reduce it.
Anaerobic means ‘without oxygen”. Anaerobic is a medium intensity to high-intensity exercise that generally lasts for 2 minutes per exercise. Being an intense exercise, it doesn’t get the required amount of oxygen to generate energy. So, it consumes carbohydrates from other sources also to produce energy.
It helps in increasing body mass, building muscles, reducing fat, and increasing bone density. In the case of anaerobe exercise, you will feel muscle fatigue. Examples of heavyweight exercises include heavy weight lifting, sprinting, dumbbells, and using machines that offer resistance.
Pros of Anaerobic Exercises
- They increase body mass
- They strengthen the muscles
- They improve cardiovascular function
- They reduce body fat
- An improvement in muscle strength improves power.
- They increase bone density.
Cons of Anaerobic Exercises
- An increased body mass could increase the risk of heart attacks
- The machines used in anaerobic exercises could be the reasons for injury. So, proper guidance and care is required
The above paragraphs describe briefly the meaning of aerobic and anaerobic exercises along with their pros and cons. Now, let us understand the differences between the two.
Difference Between Aerobic and Anaerobic Exercises
- As discussed above, aerobic can be described as an exercise that involves oxygen and anaerobic exercise is described as the one without oxygen.
- Aerobic exercises are high intensity and simple workouts that can be performed for a longer period. On the contrary, anaerobic exercises are low-intensity workouts that are performed for a short time.
- The aerobic exercise starts with a short warm-up session while anaerobic exercise starts with a long warm-up session.
- While doing aerobic, your heart pumps more blood into the body, thus making it stronger. On contrary, anaerobic utilizes energy from other sources and increases the muscular mass.
- The rest intervals between aerobic exercises are short while in anaerobic exercises, these are long.
These points give a basic difference between aerobic and anaerobic exercises. Aerobic exercises are performed by those, who are looking to reduce their weight and get in shape. Anaerobic exercise is done by athletes, sportspersons, and wrestlers. Both of these exercises offer different benefits. Therefore, it is advised to work on aerobic and anaerobic simultaneously to take the best advantage of their benefits.